Join Our Vibrant, Supportive, and Inclusive Team
North Park Elementary School (NPES) is an independent non-sectarian day school serving students in Preschool-8th Grade located in the North Center-Ravenswood area of Chicago. We nurture curiosity, spark creativity, and cultivate a compassionate, vibrant, and equitable community that supports all members. NPES is accredited by the Independent Schools Association of the Central States (ISACS).
NPES is dedicated to creating an inclusive community of students and adults who respect, value, and appreciate diversity in all aspects of human identity, and who work together to advance equity and social justice. NPES does not discriminate in its employment, admissions policies, and school-administered programs. We are looking for exceptional faculty and staff who are passionate about education, committed to our school’s mission, and culturally-responsive in their practice.
Current opportunities to join our team are listed below. We also accept applications for employment on a rolling basis year-round. Please submit your cover letter and resume to Office Manager Kerry Maman at email@example.com. Your application will be retained in active status for two years. Meanwhile, check this page periodically for new listings.
We are seeking thoughtful, engaging, adaptable, reliable, and professional substitute teachers to work across all grade levels at NPES, a wonderful opportunity to gain experience with a variety of subject areas and age groups in a welcoming, inclusive, and vibrant school community. The compensation is $18.00 per hour, or $135 for a full day, 8:00 a.m.-3:30 p.m. The ideal candidate will have:
- A Bachelor’s degree (in education preferred but not required)
- Teaching experience in a school setting, camp setting, or other organization with an educational aspect to its work
- A commitment to creating an affirming, inclusive, equitable, and just learning space for all students
- An understanding of the developmental needs of children at various ages and the ability to manage a classroom positively and effectively
- Ability to work collaboratively and communicate effectively with students, colleagues, and administration
- Strong cultural awareness and literacy
- Experience providing a nurturing, creative, challenging, and supportive environment that fosters mutual respect and age-appropriate levels of independence
- Strong technology, executive functioning, and communication skills (both written and oral)
If you would like to be considered for substitute teaching, please complete this application and send us your resume. You may send these documents via email to Kerry Maman.
A Part-Time Benefits-Ineligible Staff Position Beginning December 2023
NPES is looking for a reliable Handyperson to join our staff to provide ongoing weekly building and grounds maintenance and repair for the school and a local church gym. Repair tasks occur on the interior and exterior of the school premises. We anticipate the Handyperson working approximately 8 hours (20% FTE) per week with services provided at mutually agreed upon times. The position is an adjunct to the existing contracted services for building cleaning, HVAC, and elevator maintenance and snow removal services. Reports to the school’s Director of Business and Operations. The Handyperson provides their own tools, excluding ladders.
- Repair walls, hang paintings and pictures, patch and paint walls
- Light carpentry such as installing bookshelves and adjusting doors
- Replacement of batteries and filters in toilets, soap dispensers, and filtration systems
- Replacing light bulbs and ceiling tiles
- Installing replacement carpet tiles
- Room set-ups for meetings and special events and office relocations
- Assemble and install furnishings
- Clean rooftop drains and retrieve balls on the rooftop
- Grounds maintenance such as removing weeds and refilling sand in sandbox
- Assist with snow removal as needed
- Arrange and maintain the school storage garage in an orderly fashion
- Identify and report needed repairs
- Assist the school in diagnosing and troubleshooting mechanical problems that may arise
- Identify, purchase, and transport items from local hardware stores to the school as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Proven experience as a handyperson
- Experience with hardware tools and electrical equipment
- Basic understanding of electrical, plumbing, or HVAC systems
- Basic math skills
- Good communication skills
- Well-organized and apt in problem-solving
- Attention to detail
- Ability to lift 40 pounds
- Ability to work independently
- Good organizational skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse group of staff
Compensation and Benefits
- Hourly rate is targeted at $30
- Benefits exempt (not benefits-eligible)
North Park Elementary School is an independent school accredited by the Independent Schools Association of the Central States (ISACS) located in Chicago's North Center-Ravenswood community. North Park serves 237 students in Preschool through 8th Grade, and is dedicated to raising confident, self-reliant individuals in partnership with families, instilling a sense of curiosity, a passion for learning, and a commitment to impacting the broader community in positive ways. North Park seeks to nurture curiosity, spark creativity, and sustain a vibrant, inclusive, community that supports all students, helping them become the best version of themselves. North Park believes that diversity is a critical source of strength for all. For more on the school’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, click here.
NPES is in Chicago’s North Center/Ravenswood community. We are accessible by the CTA Brown Line (the station is three blocks east of the school, on Montrose), the north-south CTA Damen Bus (#50 Bus), the east-west CTA Montrose Bus (#78), and the METRA train to both the suburbs and downtown Chicago (the Ravenswood Station is .8 miles from the school). Ample free street parking is available within one block of the school. The walkable community surrounding our school offers many amenities, including shopping, dining, parks, and recreation.
Please submit a cover letter with resume to Marshall Warren, Director of Business & Operations at firstname.lastname@example.org