Curiosity is nurtured
Our expert teachers cultivate every child’s intrinsic drive to learn by giving them the support, space and tools to explore ideas, grapple with tough questions, and take risks as they exercise agency and build competency across an integrated curriculum.
Creativity is sparked
Everyday, students express themselves as they invent, write, construct, brainstorm, improvise, design, strategize, act, innovate, paint, experiment, and sing—all helping them find inspiration, forge connections, gain perspective and increase their confidence.
Community is everywhere
In our inclusive, collaborative environment, teachers and staff work together in teams, parents are involved as partners in their child’s education, advisory groups become trusted circles of friends, and each classroom feels like an extended family.
We are dedicated to raising confident, self-reliant individuals, in partnership with families, while instilling a sense of curiosity, a passion for learning and a commitment to having an impact on the broader community.
Reflecting our fundamental beliefs and values, these guiding principles inform all of our decisions as we strive to fulfill our mission and provide the best possible education for our students.
- Through small class sizes and an authentic, experiential education, our students build academic mastery and learn essential life skills.
- Art, music, drama, foreign language and athletics are central to the experience and give students important opportunities to develop and excel.
- Social-emotional learning supports and enables personal growth and full usage of our academic curriculum.
- We value each student and focus on the habits of heart and mind together to develop resilient and confident learners.
- Our commitment to excellence begins with our faculty and staffs’ love of children, and is strengthened by instructional expertise and extensive professional development.
- Students, parents, faculty, and staff are active and invested in the learning process, and these partnerships help students become the very best versions of themselves.
- The NPES community is a vibrant and inclusive social network built on a common purpose of supporting our students, and sustained by lasting friendships.
- Diversity of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives are a critical source of strength in the community.
- NPES is committed to providing an extraordinary educational value for the tuition.
- Our students are good citizens who demonstrate kindness, openness, respect, and responsibility everyday.
- Through a commitment to service, our students learn to see beyond themselves and understand the value of being part of a larger community.
- By participating in multi-age, collaborative learning activities, our students understand how to work together to solve problems.
NPES was founded in 1980 by a group of parents in the North Park neighborhood to create an affordable alternative to the Chicago Public Schools. Many of the school’s founding members were educators, dedicated to providing a well-rounded curriculum.
NPES purchased our current building at 2017 W. Montrose in 1999, which enabled the school to grow to its current size of 240 students. In 1999, the Independent Schools Association of the Central States (ISACS) granted NPES full accreditation, which the school continues to maintain.
Get in touch to learn more about the special community at North Park Elementary School.
Join us for an Admissions Coffee, a Preschool Open Play or a tour of our school.