Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
the variety of human identities represented in our community
cultivating a just community in which power is shared
intentional efforts to ensure that all have voice and develop a sense of belonging
We believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to our school’s mission, which calls everyone to be curious about the world, passionate about learning, and to impact their broader community. The ethos of our school affirms the unique identities of students, faculty/staff, and families as we develop our cultural competency together for the greater good.
Today NPES demonstrates its commitment to pursuing a more inclusive, just, and equitable community by:
- Providing opportunities in our curriculum for students to explore their identities, develop their voice, and live their authentic truth, striving for identity mirrors and windows for all.
- Emphasizing an experience-centered education, rich in multicultural viewpoints.
- Developing a faculty culture with a shared vision for equity and inclusion, with professional development to evolve our practice (including SEED).
- Committing to understanding and affirming everyone’s story, building on our long-standing partnership with Single Story.
- Partnering with Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago to educate faculty/staff on best practices in supporting students’ gender-identity development, teaching students to be upstanders for non-binary identities.
- Strengthening our students’ capacity to relate to one another in meaningful ways, listening for understanding with respect and kindness before debate.
- Providing opportunities for students to grapple with complex world issues that enable them to explore the roles, rights, and responsibilities of citizens in a democratic society.
- Modeling for students how to recognize and disrupt bias, and challenge injustice, supporting their efforts to do so.
- Creating purposeful spaces for leading DEI efforts, including the Diversity Action Team (DAT) for employees and the Board of Trustees DEI Committee.
- Offering parent/caregiver education opportunities to grow cultural competence and better understand the societal context in which their children are growing up.
- Celebrating the unique abilities, different learning styles, and characteristics of NPES students and their families, and supporting diverse types of learners.
- Utilizing technology to achieve global reach in our community and interact meaningfully in an interconnected world.
Get in touch to learn more about the special community at North Park Elementary School.
Join us for an Admissions Coffee or a tour of our school. We look forward to hearing from you!